We can’t think of anyone who would buy a brand new furnace, and then would be okay with replacing it just 5 or 6 years later. But, if you do not take care of your heating system, then that very well could be what happens. We are the experts in Boise, ID furnaces, and we want to help you get the most out of your heater.
To do so though, you need to avoid certain mistakes and make sure you properly care for the system.
Furnace Care Tips
The following tips should help you keep your furnace around for its entire lifespan, which should be about 10-15 years depending on the manufacturer and a number of other factors.
- Schedule Maintenance: Professional maintenance is not a luxury HVAC service. On the contrary, it’s a necessary preventive service that allows our technicians to fully inspect your system to see if any components need adjusting, if there are any repair needs, and if the system needs cleaning. All of this will help your furnace run more smoothly, and therefore last longer.
- Don’t Ignore Problems: During your maintenance appointment, we may alert you to small problems that have cropped up. Sure, you may be tempted to ignore them for now, especially if your furnace seems to be functioning just fine. But if you neglect the problem for too long, it can turn into a much bigger emergency later on down the line.
- Eliminate Debris from Outside Unit: be sure to keep the area around your furnace unit clean to reduce fire hazards and prevent the possibility of damage to the exterior of the system.
- Change Your Air Filter: Many homeowners mistakenly believe that the air filter within their HVAC system is designed to protect their indoor air quality. While a clogged air filter can impact your air quality eventually, its actual purpose is to protect the inside components of your furnace, and keep the furnace from working too hard as a result.
- Consider a High Efficiency System: If you’re at a point where you are picking a new furnace, be sure to pick one with a high AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating. High-efficiency systems are built for durability. Ask our team to help match you up with the right system!
Boost Your Furnace’s Efficiency
To that last point, what if you have a furnace already and are looking to help your older system last longer? Generally speaking, the more efficient a furnace system is, the longer it will last. And the better you take care of it, the more efficient it will be. But there are a couple other things you can do to boost furnace efficiency too!
First off, use weather-stripping around the windows and doors of your home. This will prevent heated air from escaping and keep the cold air out. Also, utilize your ceiling fan! In the wintertime, you can switch the direction of your fan blades to pull warm air down. This allows you to turn up your thermostat and save money as a result.
Contact Ultimate Heating & Air, Inc today for reliable heating services throughout the Boise area!